Picturehouse Fulham

Type

Fit out

Client

Picturehouse Cinema’s

Location

Fulham

Value

3 million

Role

Principal contractor

Duration

9 months

Background

The Forum Theatre opened on 18th December 1930 with Lupez Velez in “The Storm”. Also in the opening bill was a variety stage show starring Clapham & Dwyer with a 24-piece orchestra. The original seating capacity was 2,200 in stalls and circle. The style of decoration was Classical, with Romanesque touches and there was a large 80 feet wide coffered dome in the auditorium ceiling. The sidewalls were decorated with pastoral Italian scenes.

The stage was 30 feet deep, and the proscenium was 45 feet wide. There were eight dressing rooms, and the theatre was equipped with a Compton 3Manual/8Rank organ. The projection box was located in the rear of the orchestra stalls rather than the usual position at the rear of the circle. The Forum Theatre had a circular shaped tearoom/cafe located above the main entrance.

It was the first of three theatres to be designed for Herbert A. Yapp’s Wyanbee Theatres, a small circuit located in the north of London. The other two Forum Theatres at Kentish Town and Ealing were also designed by architect J. Stanley Beard for the circuit in 1934. The circuit was sold to Associated British Cinemas (ABC) on 8th April 1935. This cinema was re-named ABC in 1961 and during the 1960’s the Compton organ was removed. In June 1974 it was closed for conversion into a three-screen cinema (one in the circle, two in the stalls) and in early 1975 a fourth screen was added in an adjacent squash court that had been built on the theatre’s car park. In 1977 the circle screen was divided into two screens. In recent years a sixth screen opened above the former squash court screen.

It has gone through several changes in ownership since the demise of ABC Cinemas and is currently operated by Cineworld. This cinema’s features include a beautiful exterior and lobby, along with a very courteous staff. Although all of the trappings of the original auditorium have been scrapped, you can still some of the balcony moulding in auditoriums four and five and in the main entrance foyer.

Seating capacities are for 348, 327 in the former circle and 173 in the upper area of the squash court, and 219, 204 in the former stalls and 155 in the lower area of the squash court.

On June 10, 2019, it was announced that the Cineworld Cinema – Fulham Road is to be transferred over to Picturehouse Cinemas (owned by Cineworld) and would undergo a renovation to the plans of architectural firm Earle Architects following its closure on 6th October 2019.

Challenges

The challenges encountered on this project was reproducing the art deco style of the original theatre, whilst also integrating modern facilities and regulations.

Results

Earle Architects and Maeve Contractors Ltd have carefully restored this landmark cinema to bring back the “period glamour of the 1930’s”.  The cinemas boast over 1000 seats across 6 screens of varied sizes.  There are 2 new restaurants that allow customers to enjoy a meal and drinks within a relaxed 1930’s type environment.

The original interior decorative features such as “combed” plaster and sensuous curved and sleek lines have been reintroduced into the new interior. All auditoria have been stripped back to a shell before introducing new tiered seating with generous leg room and much improved sight lines. Externally we re-clad the prominent circular canopy in translucent glazing with bronze metalwork.

“Fulham Road Picturehouse takes us back to the glory days of 1930’s period glamour in this listed building. Earle architects and Maeve Contractors have helped us revive Fulham Road to its former vintage charm. Fulham Road has been transformed into the 26th cinema in the Picturehouse family and opened its doors on Sunday 8th December 2019”

Picturehouse December 2019.

Get in touch